Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent, Tommy Nutter, etc.

Following the death of Yves Saint Laurent I've seen this photo of Mick and Bianca Jagger on their wedding day on a couple of blogs that have erroneously stated that Bianca's suit was made by YSL (more on YSL on the next post). As far as I know both of their suits were designed and made by TOMMY NUTTER. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you don't know about the late Nutter get a copy of Savile Row: an Illustrated History, by Richard Walker (see pic) in which he gives a detailed history of the House of Nutter aka Nutters (sic) at 35A Savile Row. On Bianca specifically he writes: "Nutters was an integhral part of the 'London Scene', providing finery for the likes of Mick Jagger, the Beatles (three Nutter suits adorn the 'Abbey Road' album cover), Eric Clapton and adventursome aristocrats like the Duke of Bedford. Girls too, after Bianca Jagger walked in and demanded a suit just like Mick's. 'He wasn't very pleased, because he treated me as his tailor,' Nutter recalls. 'He was slightly old-fashioned like that.' Bianca was not happy with the first effort, which she considered too feminine--'she took my jacket and put it on and said that's the way I want it, so we cut her a man's jacket and that whole look started with her . . ."